A companion to the TRON 2.0 Unofficial FAQ that provides up-to-date
news about the TRON 2.0 gaming community and TRON in general.



If you're having trouble with the TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod
Read this Troubleshooting Guide




A Typical E-mail Received By TronFAQ

By TronFAQ on Friday, February 10, 2006 at 2:56 PM

Okay, I lied. I'm talking about myself. But it's for a good reason. (At least I'm not talking about shaving . . . yet.)

About a week ago, I received an e-mail. One that read like countless ones before it, that I've received over the last couple of years. Out of courtesy, I'm going to keep the sender's identity anonymous, of course. But the following passage from the e-mail is quoted verbatim. I have not edited it in any way.

when the demo was released, a gamer friend of mine pointed me at it and told me how awesome it was going to be. I downloaded it, tried it, and thought it was pretty stupid. I told him so. He bugged me a bit about it, but I had zero interest in the thing to begin with, and the demo left me cold. So a couple weeks ago, I'm walking through a bargain store and I see it sitting on the shelf, cheap. Real cheap. I wasn't playing anything else at the time, so I figured I'd give it a rip, maybe kill an hour or two on a slow after. The next night, I starting talking to this friend on IRC, and I'm like, "WHOA DUDE THIS GAME IS AWESOME," which of course he thought was pretty funny, and then, "MAN THIS IS GREAT WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME HOW GREAT THIS WAS?" which I don't think he found quiet so amusing.

From all the e-mails I have received, the following observations can be made:

  1. Many people still have no idea this game exists.
  2. If they did know about it, they were turned off by lack of polish in the Multiplayer demos.
  3. Said people did not hesitate to buy the game at a lower price than was originally asked. At $20 or less, it was an impulse buy with no questions asked. Obviously few companies would sell a game this cheap when new, but a more reasonable price is a large factor in the purchasing decision.
  4. Upon trying the game out, they discovered the demos to be misleading and the actual game far better than they expected.

Food for thought. Maybe next time (if there ever is a next time), BVG can try a little harder to get the word out about about one of their games. And while they're at it, maybe they can get some customer service too.

By the way, don't be shy with your opinions out there. See the comments link under each post I make? Click on it, and feel free to say whatever is on your mind.

Even if it's about shaving . . .

 
<< Home

4 comments so far.

  1. Anonymous February 10, 2006 5:53 PM
    Shaving I say! SHAAVING! :)
    Anyway, I agree, often demos suck compared to the normal game, there is no Tron 2.0 demo for Mac, so I just bought it because I read about, I liked the original site, and I love Tron.
  2. Anonymous February 11, 2006 7:32 PM
    I'm a tron fan from childhood. The release of this game and rumors* of a sequel are very compelling to me. I try to tell as many people as I talk to with the slightest bent in games about Tron 2.0 and will ocntinue to do so. I am also interested in any innovative ideas others may have about promoting it! :) - you would think we worked for bvg... - lol!:)

    cheers!

    techromancer
  3. Kain-Xavier April 12, 2006 4:10 AM
    Hopefully, more people will find out about this game with the advent of Kingdom Hearts II's release.

    I just hope they won't see the light cycles and go, "Hey, they ripped off this idea from KH2." :p

    Nice blog by the way :)
  4. Anonymous May 03, 2006 2:05 AM
    A friend of mine bought the game at or near launch, tried a couple lightcycle matches, and then just let it sit on his shelf. I told him a few times he should really try the actual game, but it never sank in to him, so I dropped the subject. 1.5 years after launch or so, I booted the game up on his PC, showed him the first level to try and grab his interest. Still, nada. He didn't play. Then like 5 months ago, he all the sudden starts playing it and telling me how cool it is. He had no idea the graphics and artistic elements were so well done, and the game was fun also. He was genuinely impressed by the game. There were a few things he didn't care for, but all in all, it was a great experience. And one (I'm thinking to myself) he could've had when the game first launched!! LOL I have another friend who ALSO bought it at launch, but he has refused to play it too. ??? Hopefully he tries it some day. I'll bug him about it again here in a few days. Just thought I'd mention that you shouldn't judge this game by its cover, or first level. If you have any remote interest in unique games, try Tron.

Post a Comment